Wednesday, December 15, 2010

How do you make your BOMs?

I have a system I’ve used for a long time that seems to work for me. First I use Electric Quilt to design the block. Then I write up the word document, using paint for the diagrams. Then I check the directions by making it myself. If it comes out the size I want it to be, I send that word document to two or more testers to see if they get the same results. They also check my grammar and math, usually… although sometimes mistakes get by all of us and one of my readers points it out to me.

Next is the HTML or web page. I use a program called HomeSite to do my web pages, it works the best for my purposes. When all of the diagrams are converted to jpgs and the document is written in code, it goes on line. Right now there are six of the 2011 BOMs on line, but no one can see them yet. They are in a hidden folder waiting their turn to be put on the BOM index.

I did run out of the B&W print I was using so had to pull another B&W print from my stash. Nice to have a stash on a cold day like this so I didn’t have to go out shopping. (29 right now with winds at 18mph gusting to 33mph) Hopefully this B&W will get me to the end of these blocks. I’ve used at least three different white-on-whites, at least two different blacks and now two B&W prints… but all the same red which is pure coincidence.

1 comment:

  1. So, any idea how much fabric one might need if one were to make your boms? I have a roll of 5" strips of blacks/whites my dd gave me last year. And, I could buy some nice, bright lime green to go with (I don't think I would have any in the stash.) I most likely have a nice bright white to go with it all.... just wondering.... and congratulations on finishing a UFO. I finished the table runner last night. Photos to come. YEAH!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated because of spam.
Thanks for understanding,
Marge