Monday, April 02, 2007

Giggles

Have you ever gone into a fit of giggles, and no matter how hard you try… you can’t stop? That happened to me today and the sad part of it is that I was here alone at home and only laughing at memories. Memories of retreats gone by, special memories, but mostly memories of one special friend.

She wasn’t originally a friend, but a student of mine, and honestly, and she knows this, she was not a favorite student. First of all, she was hard of hearing. That made teaching her anything hard, since she never heard what I was saying… and if you’ve ever met me you know I am not a quiet person. I had to repeat everything to her many times, and I was never sure she was hearing me at all… her hearing aid screeched back at me when I got too close, and I never understood how she could hear anything at all over the noise it made.

But as I taught her things over and over again, I learned a lot about her. She was a very special caring person and was nursing her ailing husband of whom she spoke as he was a true saint. The love she had for him was remarkable, and I knew that was hard when he passed away, and I worried about her. But she’s a survivor, in more ways than one. She had breast cancer and survived, and has survived two husbands.

Our friendship grew and she became more and more special every time I saw her. And even when I didn’t see her, like when I had emergency surgery and woke up to find a hand written note from her on my table… I will never know how she knew I was in there, but she did, and kept me company as I slept after surgery.

Then she started attending my quilt retreats, and I got to spend more time with her. The first retreat she attended she rode up with me… I learned a lot on the three plus hour trip up, and on the way back with a car full of goodies she has bought for every friend and neighbor she had. And what fun we had while at the retreat… She decided one retreat a year wasn’t enough, so we’ve spent a lot more time together..

And she decided she wanted to join my Relay For Life team, and raised over $600 all by herself, and was sorry she hadn’t raised more.

Or there was the time she decided I needed a secret sister, and did a darn good job at keeping the secret part secret… God bless you Pinocchio, God bless you!

I can’t begin to tell you the special memories I have of this extraordinary lady, or explain why just thinking of her gives me the giggles.

I could only wish that everyone could have a friend like her.

Love you Joanie Bolognie, and I’m thankful to have you as a friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are once again moderated so that no one has to see the spam that some robot keeps trying to post. Your comments ARE important to me, and I will approve them as long as they aren’t smutty or trying to sell something. And if your ID is not accepted, send me an email, my address is on the sidebar.
Thanks for understanding
Marge