Saturday, February 21, 2009

hi

Incase you are wondering what’s happening and why I haven’t posted, I am alive and well, just off visiting a friend. Unfortunately this friend is not on the internet, she doesn’t even own a computer, and … well.. it sure makes thing difficult in keeping in touch with the rest of the world. However, that is just going to have to do for now.

My friend is advancing in age, as we all are, but unfortunately her mind isn’t handling this advance well. She is having some semi-serious memory loss, and on occasion anxiety attacks and delusions. (Although no delusions while I am here, I think I am distracting her enough her mind doesn’t need to make anything up.) As I see it, from my unprofessional medical brain, it’s just plain old age.

Her Doctor recommended that she not be alone, and she has no family close so here I am. We’re having a great time catching up, reliving old times, and just plain sitting around and chatting. We’ve relived times past way too many times now, and it’s all starting to be a rerun, but if that is what she wants to do then we will.

She is in bed early every night, leaving me lots of time to do what ever I want, but I’ve been emotionally drained, and just don’t want to do much after she is asleep. I remember the old times too, and how alive and exciting she was, and how much I admired her for the things she did. Now they are the memories that keep her life exciting, with little to nothing going on.

She doesn’t know that her Doctor has recommended that sometime in the near future she go into assisted living, that I am here with her until that move, and that soon all of her memories will fade away. She doesn’t know that sometime soon her lovely home and wonderful friends will disappear into a fog, and she will barely remember one day to the next. She doesn’t know, and I’m not going to tell her… I’m just going to sit here and keep her company until she forgets who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated because of spam.
Thanks for understanding,
Marge