Thursday, November 03, 2011

Haircut and heartbreak

I first went to my current hair salon when we were visiting home before heading to Europe in 1987.  Michael got his first real haircut there, the “buzz” he wanted to get rid of all the blonde curls I loved so much.  When we returned from Europe six years later I would make appointments when we were home visiting.  Then we moved here and I was happy to have a salon I knew.  Hairdressers came and went, but I stayed there because I knew the owner and liked all of the ladies who worked there.  They moved and I moved with them. 

My current regular hairdresser has been cutting my hair almost as long as I can remember, a year or so before they moved to their current location.  I trust her with my skinny hair and odd cow licks and I know she will always do what I want done.  (Well except for the wedding but she did what she knew had to be done to keep my hair looking good all night, even if it did take a whole can of hairspray.)

When I returned home from the retreat I had a message to call my hairdresser, and I just now got around to doing so.  The shop is closing.  Such a sad thing, I hate seeing small businesses closing down, especially one I love so much.  I will miss them all.

I need a hair cut now, but can't go in there because I know everyone will be sobbing and sad.   However my gal has told me where she will be working for now on and I will follow her there…. I hope it is even half as nice as the old shop was  although I don’t think that is possible.
 

1 comment:

  1. honestly, is there anything worse than having to find a hairdresser? The move before this one I stayed with the first lady I tried. She kept me trimmed nicely.

    This move, not so good. I've tried super cheap places and had good cuts but next time I went in all different people. Tried another place where the owner ended up cutting my hair cause the gal who was going to do my hair quit. She CUT my ear! And, the hair wasn't great. Tried another place the sides were different lengths. Tried another and the cut was good but it was hard to get an appointment.... tried a different person at one of the places and ... maybe, maybe I'll be staying with her.

    I feel your pain on small businesses going under. Maybe they are closing because she wants to retire and can't sell it. You've been going there a LONG time! Good luck. B.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated because of spam.
Thanks for understanding,
Marge