Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Houston Quilt Festival

A friend sent me a link to the winners at Houston Quilt Festival.  http://www.quilts.org/winners.html

I looked… a lot has changed in the quilting world

A lot of them are appliqué.   Appliqué does not inspire me, instead it frustrates me. 

Many others are art quilts, beautiful in some cases, not so much in others and again they do not inspire me. 

I am not saying they did not deserve the awards they were given, I am just saying that I was not inspired to try to make one for myself. 

Although, I have to agree with the judges of the Traditional Pieced category, I LOVE the Barcelona Crow's Nest by Patricia Delaney, now that’s my kind of quilt!  I would love to see that in person.   And that might just inspire me to try that myself.

I wish they had a category for quilts that just keep you warm.…. I seriously doubt any one of those award winners will ever keep anyone warm.  I’ll just keep on making my plain old ugly but extremely warm and usable pieced quilts and the rewards I will get from making someone warm and happy is good enough for me!

2 comments:

  1. I have to agree, Marge. I can appreciate the art quilts, but I'm such a traditional kind-of gal. I love applique and think Sue Garman's quilt is spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Candy1:24 PM

    Well, "I" for one, have to disagree on one point!! You make BEAUTIFUL quilts, Marge...NOT ugly ones!!! Beautiful AND warm!

    See ya in 3 sleeps!
    Candy

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated because of spam.
Thanks for understanding,
Marge