Friday, May 15, 2009

Marge where are you?

That was all a friend said in her email to me… I guess not everyone knows about my latest adventure so let me fill you in. Last week right in the middle of getting ready for Relay a Retreat crisis popped up. After 11 years at the Inn they are making some policy changes that pretty much make having any quilt retreats there impossible. If my retreaters were willing to sew two or three to a table we could stay there, but that isn’t going to happen… and when was the last time you saw two or three sewing machines on a six foot table anyway?

So once Relay was over and most of my work finished for that, I started hunting again for a location to hold quilters retreats. Of course I called the convention bureau and asked for their help, but the groups lady and I played telephone tag, and I was impatient, so I did some looking and calling on my own. Finding a hotel with a nice conference room isn’t as easy as you might think, and finding one with openings when you need them is even harder.

And I’ve learned from my experiences in traveling all over the world that you cannot rely on what you see on line to judge a place. Pictures are not always accurate, and sometimes what you see on line and what you see when you get there are two different things. So I will not book any location for a retreat until I have checked it out personally.

So that is what I am doing right now.. as well as visiting friends in NY, doing some quilt shop visiting, and just plain relaxing while looking for a new place to retreat.

There are several possibilities already for retreating, and I am hoping they are even half as nice as they show themselves on line… time will tell. I’m touring hotels all day tomorrow, so cross your fingers for me.. no for US, so we can resume our happy retreating adventures.

1 comment:

  1. Aww, come on - tell us where the next retreat is going to be. Inquiring minds really want to know. (And I don't like waiting . . . .)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated because of spam.
Thanks for understanding,
Marge