Thursday, April 18, 2013

Buyers beware


So I’m working on project ideas for the fall retreats, and I see a trend in patterns. 

I don’t look at patterns in the stores; I usually make my own patterns and haven’t purchased a pattern since I can’t remember when.  And the same pretty much holds true to patterns on line.  I just don’t purchase patterns.  The pattern I am talking about here was a freebie which someone picked up at a shop at the retreat and shared with me.  I liked the pattern, but not the instructions and the waste which anyone who followed the instructions would have. 

Many many patterns are made for pre-cut strips and either five or ten inch charms.  That’s OK because you can always cut your own if you want and not have to pay an arm and a leg for the pre-cuts.  OR you and save time and work and purchase them.  I myself have fallen into that category a few times lately, buying pre-cuts.  (Don’t faint)

However what I find truly disturbing is this  -  Included in the requirements are 1 package 10" squares (forty squares, two each of twenty different fabrics)

But the next step says: 
From squares:
• Cut eight squares into thirty-two 2 1/2" x 8 1/2" strips for the border.
• Trim thirty-one squares to 8 1/2" squares.

Let’s do the math.....
If you cut a 10 inch square into 2 1/2 inch strips, you will get four strips per square IF the pinked edges allows.  I tried this and could only get three per pre-cut square which meant I was wasting fabric, expensive fabric at that. 

And if I can only get three 2 1/2 inch strips per ten inch square, I would need 11 squares to make thirty-two 2 1/2 strips for the border… 

But I need thirty-one ten inch squares to trim down to 8 1/2 inches, wasting more costly fabric.  If I was using a pre-cut ten inch square package it would have to have in it 42 ten inch squares in it to make the pattern recommended by the manufacturer… of course, so you have to buy extra and waste more. 

The pattern also calls for strips, and I won’t even tell you what it tells you to do with them… what a waste of time, work AND money. 

I guess this is a case of buyer beware, read the directions carefully. 

PS, as for this pattern, I will not be making it with pre-cuts but will probably make it by cutting my own fabrics.  Maybe more time consuming, but much less waste of money and fabrics. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated because of spam.
Thanks for understanding,
Marge