Sunday, May 05, 2013

There really is no pattern

A few people have asked for the pattern for my quilt, name still to be decided.  Really, there is no pattern.  None at all, I just sewed until I had most of the fabric used up and even rows.

I made this using one Macaroon Bali Pop, pre-cut 2 1/2 inch strips and Macaroon Snaps, 5 inch squares.  There was no added fabric and very little left over.   
Here’s what I did.  First I opened up the package of Snaps and as they were put in the package, no matching at all.  I only changed the order if I had two which were the same color or close.   I drew a line diagonally down the center and sewed two lines 1/4 inch from that line.  Then I cut them, pressed and had triangle squares. 

Then I added a strip to one side of each triangle square, thinking perhaps I’d make a log cabin block… but then I decided that I didn’t want to bother with which side I was sewing the next strip to, or which way the diagonal seam was going… I just wanted to sew with no worries at all and that’s what I did. 

I went around each triangle square one time and then squared those blocks all down to 8 1/4 inches.  Then I looked at what I had left, and realized I did not have enough fabric left to go around again but probably enough to add one strip more on each block, which created a rectangle block rather than a square. 

When I had them all laid out on the bed I had left over blocks and a few strips and didn’t really like the lay out… So I turned some blocks horizontally and some vertically and added strips to make them all the same size and sewed it all together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated because of spam.
Thanks for understanding,
Marge