Monday, May 03, 2010

Speechless with a lot to say

Seldom am I speechless, but right now I am. I have just received the nicest batch of emails I have ever gotten in my life. Let me say that it is because of so many friends who are survivors, too many to name and because of those who didn’t win the fight, starting way back with Marie Cooper, Bingo Betty and Georgie that I Relay. I’ve seen what cancer can do, and I’ve seen how far we’ve come in the few years I’ve been Relaying.

Last night I was talking to my sister-in-law about a friend of hers. He has an inoperable brain cancer and has given himself to science. He knows he won’t win this battle, but he is determined to help someone else win theirs. He is on experimental drugs recently developed with the financial assistance of the American Cancer Society. This is why I Relay.

And the promises of miniature quilts has me overwhelmed and I am tickled that I came up with the idea. I know many of us have been touched by Alzheimer’s and we all have our reasons for wanting to help. I got involved in Ami’s AAQI a while back because of two local quilt friends whose husbands had Alzheimer’s and then it touched us closer with John’s Aunt.

I don’t do what I do for any self glory or awards. Someone asked me recently why I didn’t want to be the #1 fundraiser in our event. She knew that if all the donations I had made to other people were added up I would be #1… I told her that I didn’t want to be #1, I wanted to help others achieve their goal. I’m not in this to win any prizes, I’m in this to beat cancer and find the cure. And if the miniature quilts I collect and pass on to Ami helps someone find the cure for Alzheimer’s, then my job will be done.

Thank you to everyone for your kind words, they are the best prize I could ask for, and I appreciate it from the bottom of my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated because of spam.
Thanks for understanding,
Marge