Monday, May 31, 2010

Today is Monday

The calendar says it is Memorial Day, but I can guarantee you there are a lot of people lounging on the beach here, shopping at the outlets, or just stuck in traffic who have no idea what that day really means. To me that is sad, but I’ve learned after living in a resort area for many years that most tourists don’t know what day of the week it is, let alone what the holiday means they are off work because of.

I also think it’s sad that our government made this happen. If Memorial Day had been left on May 30th and it fell in the middle of the week, I’d think some of those people might know what day it is. Why can’t they leave holidays as they were when they were started…

Other holidays have been changed too, take a look at this year’s 2010 Federal Holidays from the US Office of Personnel Management and you will find many holidays have been rescheduled. How convenient. What is coming next? Who knows, some day in the future holiday calendars might look like this…













(*Note this is the final year New Year's day will be observed on the 1st as it had been changed to a Monday holiday starting next year.)
**Celebrating the birthdays of our 4th, 6th, 11th and 23rd Presidents.
***Formerly a religious holiday
****Formerly in November but it was moved to August since there weren't any holidays in August.

But since the government has decided today is Momorial Day, remember the veterans who made it possible!

2 comments:

  1. I heartily concur, and my husband owns a gift shop - where he is currently working and open on this "holiday." I'd like Memorial Day (and the other holidays, for that matter) to include a MANDATE that all stores, restaurants, etc. be CLOSED. I know, I hear you all screaming. But it would return the true meaning of holiday to our lives, make us all sit down and talk to our families, cook a decent meal, and take time to think about a few more important things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am from a generation that remembers when stores were CLOSED on Sundays and holidays. I think we have gotten away from the meaning of many of these days. On Memorial day we used to attend a parade and spend time with our families. Not go to the beach or go to sales.
    Marge, hope that your PT is going well. Sometimes the pain is worse after a session. I'm glad you aren't listening to those people who tell you how much pain you shouldn't be in. Everyone has their own pain threshold.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated because of spam.
Thanks for understanding,
Marge