Thursday, March 14, 2013

Google Reader retiring

“We have just announced on the Official Google Blog that we will soon retire Google Reader (the actual date is July 1, 2013). We know Reader has a devoted following who will be very sad to see it go. We’re sad too.

There are two simple reasons for this: usage of Google Reader has declined, and as a company we’re pouring all of our energy into fewer products. We think that kind of focus will make for a better user experience.
Sad for sure, sucks really.  And Google really has never done anything to impress me. 

Is there another “reader” program out there I can use?  

4 comments:

  1. I also am wondering the same thing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was told that Bloglovin is a good blog reader. I set up an account and like the look of it, but I haven't used it much yet to see if it compares to Goggle Reader. I hope this helps

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so upset to read the notice this morning. I typed "what sites can read RSS feeds" into my Yahoo search bar and got a very recent article from CNET on 5 sites they consider worth checking into. I downloaded Feedly and will try that out. Of course it is way different looking than Google Reader....so I am not pleased. I figure this will give me time to test it out and try something else if I want. In the meantime we will have Google Reader until July 1. Darn..I hate change!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marge, after much research I am going to "the Old Reader". It was developed by some Google exiles a couple of years ago when Google started making all the changes to go social media. From looking at the reviews and screenshots it is just what I want. A place to read my blogs, group them by interest, machine quilting, applique,etc and no fuss.

    The site is quite busy now since Google's announcement with everyone migrating over there but I have backed up my reader files and will wait until next week to move my information. Email me if you need the ip address.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated because of spam.
Thanks for understanding,
Marge