Thursday, December 24, 2009

'Twas the night before Christmas

'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse;
That’s because Mufasa is here, and no mouse will show it’s little head with him around.

The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there;
Uh Oh, no chimney, and no stockings hung anywhere this year, first year in forever.

The children were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of sugar-plums danced in their heads;
No children here this year, and I sort of doubt my guys have that kind of vision this year, LOL!

Well that’s enough of that anyway, but you get the idea. As a child I don’t remember hearing that story often. Christmas eve was usually rushed, we were picked up from foster care and shuffled off to where ever my father needed to go that night, usually ending up at my Grandmothers.
If by any chance we were picked up prior to Christmas eve, we went to church. Or if we were picked up very late on Christmas eve, we went to mass with our Foster mom. I liked both services, for different reasons. I loved the mass and the beauty of the Catholic Church, especially at Christmas. And I loved the singing in our little humble Reformed Episcopal and all of the holiday decorations that made the church glow.

When our boys came along they heard that story every Christmas eve… I wonder if they remember that. John read it to them faithfully every year, unless Pop Pop, my father, was around, and then he had the honor. Dad was a great reader of that story, and he loved Christmas. I miss him the most this time of year.

There won’t be a reading this year, I have no idea where the book is and there isn’t anyone to read it too. John and I will probably watch a Christmas movie and then go to bed….

Although, there is another Christmas eve tradition in this house, I wonder if it will go on this year. Every year, starting in 1984 when Jonathon was just two, they guys made cookies for Santa. They would be up way past their bedtime working in the kitchen. Before they went to bed they would set out a plate of fresh warm chocolate chip cookies and a glass of milk. And every Christmas morning the cookies were gone.
"Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good-night."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated because of spam.
Thanks for understanding,
Marge