Friday, February 12, 2010

Aunt Peggy’s Quilt

Several people have asked me to explain about Aunt Peggy’s quilt, which I apparently mentioned somewhere. It’s an interesting story so I will happily share some of it…

It all started with this email:
Dear Delaware Quilts. We were wondering of you could help us find the right pattern to make a quilt for our Mom/Aunt. She sewed and has a lot of scraps we could use, but we don’t want the whole thing to be scrappy.

We are willing to make a donation to your Relay drive if you can help us.
Thank you,
Aunt Peggy’s girls


I emailed back for more information, anything (almost) for a donation. I got an immediate reply, could I send her my phone number so we could talk which would be easier, or could I call her. So I did.

Aunt Peggy it turns out is one very special lady, having raised seven of her own children along with four of her sister’s and her brother’s son. (I hope I got those right, LOL) They are all grown up now, and Aunt Peggy has decided to give up her home of over 50 years to move into a condo where there wasn’t any yard work to be done and where she could call the handyman to fix what needed to be fixed. She found a nice condo and is in the process of moving right now. That means getting rid of 50 plus years of accumulation of stuff. One thing they found that Aunt Peggy didn’t want any more was boxes of fabric scraps. She said when they were all little she made clothes for them, and that’s what was left over. She thought maybe she would learn to quilt, but never got around to it.

So they decided she needed a quilt, and in discussing what to make she said to them she did not want one of those old looking quilts made from all those ugly outdated fabrics but she hated throwing them away so maybe someone could find a good use for them. Later when Aunt Peggy wasn’t around one of the daughters said those fabrics had to be in the quilt, for the memories, and maybe they could find a pattern that would hide them. Which is how they ended up on Delaware Quilts.

OK, I was up for the challenge, and started looking while we were still on the phone… there had to be a block in Block Base that could be partially scrappy and not look scrappy. I went from category to category and found a few I thought might work. I sent a few diagrams along with the names of the different blocks to them and they chose this one. They had several reasons for picking it, but I can’t tell you, yet, or it won’t be a mystery.

I just sent Aunt Peggy’s girls the block pattern so they can get started. Hopefully by time I present the mystery they will have their quilt finished and I can show it as a sample. Hopefully!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated because of spam.
Thanks for understanding,
Marge