Sunday, February 07, 2010

Nothing super about this Sunday

Well it is 16 degrees outside, and about 55 inside. I am glad I'm inside, just wish it was a bit warmer. It stopped snowing shortly after dark last night, and with in minutes we could see stars, amazing. This morning it is bright and sunny and BRIGHT, the snow is blinding. I see 30 foot trees laying on the ground, 8 foot hollies that are flattened and forsythia that used to stand taller than my husband looking like a bump in the snow. I took lots of photos from the open back door, and then tried to open another door, frozen shut. Front door has snow pretty much half way up, just slightly below the door handle, and all of the back porch sliders are frozen closed.

I slept in my bed last night in a totally unheated room, the farthest room from the fireplace and heater, which we turned off anyway when we went to bed. I didn’t move all night, I think I was frozen. Can one be frozen when under three quilts and wearing two layers of clothing including a stocking cap and hooded sweatshirt? Guess not, but my bones sure feel like they were frozen.

However, I am not complaining, not one little bit. We don’t have electricity and live in a totally electric house, but are still a lot better off than some people. We have our small gas fireplace and our small generator. We aren’t frozen, just chilly.

And I think too about the people in Haiti, we have food, most of them do not. We have shelter, most of them don’t. When my quilt laden bed shakes I know it is John turning over and not an earthquake. I’m not going to complain at all. I will just pile on another blanket and sit here and watch the snow sparkle.

And I’m going to say a prayer for all of those electrical workers who have been out there in this freezing cold trying to repair the power. But let me ask, how can you repair 16 broken poles (and that’s just my neighborhood) when the ground is not only frozen solid, but hidden under 36 inches of snow, more where it is drifted. God bless them for the hard work they have ahead of them. God bless the aid workers in Haiti too.
(Photos later if I can get back on line again.)

2 comments:

  1. And to think about the number of times you didn't come visit us in "Upstate NY" because of the snow!! LOL...bet you wish you were here now!! It's only a couple degrees colder and minor snow flurries! Wish you were here & we were playing in the shop's classroom!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a sweet, compassionate person. I enjoyed your thoughts about the snow. I am ALSO enjoying working on your SUPER BOWL MYSTERY STASH BASH (did I get all of those words in there correctly?) :)

    sao (Shirley Albertson Owens)
    Midlothian, VA
    drsaowens@gmail.com
    www.shirleyannesheart.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated because of spam.
Thanks for understanding,
Marge