Monday, February 08, 2010

I'm back!

It’s now almost 9 AM on Monday. We have no idea who won the Super Bowl, I hope the Saints got the victory they deserve. I have no idea if anyone participated in the Super Stash Bowl, other than the few who emailed me ahead of time they were planning on it.

I haven’t been able to check email since early Sunday morning. I posted on the blog, that made it according to a friend who called me yesterday. I also sent a few emails, but have no idea if they went out or not. Shortly after I hit send the signal disappeared.

I don’t have a cell phone either, also no signal. I’m wondering if the one tower we have nearest to us which occasionally gets me on line and on the cell phone is down. Everything seems to be down.

John dug out enough yesterday, took him all day, to get out of the driveway. He has 4WD, good thing, he needed it. Our road looks like it hasn’t been plowed at all, just one tiny lane down the middle of the road. He said there was one empty car stuck on the side of the road down a little bit. The next road, which is considered a main road, wasn’t much better. Where it had been cleared two cars could go, otherwise it was one car wide. Closer to the next main road is wide open fields, which caused drifting, and there the road was barely one car wide.

He went out for gas for the generator, we were almost out. The only thing we have running on it is the refrigerator and one small electric heater. Thank goodness for the gas fireplace on the back porch, it’s keeping the house at a comfortable 62 degrees. That’s a whole ten degrees below our normal house temperature and all of a sudden that feels good.

Last night we slept in bed again, with two quilts, but it still wasn’t warm enough for me, I kept waking up. Well, it could have been John’s snoring that woke me up since he was out of it. All that shoveling wore him out. When I came out of the bedroom it was like walking into an oven… since when is 59 an oven? I went back in the bedroom and picked up my travel alarm which has a thermometer on it, it was 50 in the bedroom.

After I piddled I laid down on the couch and went back to sleep until John woke me up at 8. I’d set the travel alarm to wake us up so he could check the generator… it was almost empty when he got out there. We poured ourselves coffee which he made yesterday morning and poured into a carafe to stay warm, it still was nice and hot and tasted quite yummy.

Oh, remember how I got so prepared on Friday for the storm, running the dishwasher and doing laundry? Dishwasher is full of dirty dishes, no water to even rinse them off so one use and in the dishwasher they go. Laundry basket is full of dirty clothes, John changes after he goes out and works up a sweat shoveling, and I’m changing just to feel a little cleaner. Neither of us have had a shower since Friday morning… ugh.

10:25 and two, not one but TWO plows just went down our road. That means that the power company can’t be too far behind. And it means our road is finally passable to anyone who doesn’t have 4WD. Well maybe. I’m pretty sure I know why they finally showed up here, everywhere else in the state must be plowed by now, LOL.

So how have I been passing my time… lots of ways, but I’ll admit, playing games mostly. I downloaded a new game, well new to me, on Thursday, and have been playing that most of the time. Hours seem to fly be as I go from level to level. And yet time is still standing still. I’ve also been working on a few mysteries, and have read some, finished a book I started before my surgery in November.

It’s not any colder, or warmer either, in here than is has been, yet today I am shivering almost uncontrollably. No amount of covers can make me stop. My knees, and almost every other joint in my body, are screaming with pain. Pity there isn’t any of that hot coffee left, I’d pour it on my head.

2:30 John just took his Dad and Arden to Mike’s for a hot shower. I’ll go later. I’m hoping that while they are gone the power comes back on.

3:30 No such luck… power still off so I’m off for a shower

4:30 Guess what, that heavenly sound you hear is my heat pump working, we have electricity again! I’m going to fix myself a cup of tea then sit down and catch up on email. ONLY 176 messages in one account, and 137 in another, and I haven’t even checked the Relay accounts yet. One at a time…

Such an adventure, not at all how I’d planned the weekend, but such is life. In our case it was a blizzard. In Haiti an earthquake. I am not complaining because really, I had nothing to complain about.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you got power back. WE went down too...sure not fun to keep generators running.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated because of spam.
Thanks for understanding,
Marge