Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Confessions of a confused quilter

Sounds like a good title for a book instead of the admittance of a distracted morning. When I came into the sewing room this morning I had two seams to sew to finish a little sample top. I sewed those, and moved on to a border, it really needed one. Picked out a perfect green from my stash and cut the first two three inch border strips…

Phone.. ten minutes later I went back to the cutting board.. now where was I. Oh yes, cutting binding strips. So I cut a 2 3/4 inch strip and laid it on top of the other two… hold on, this one is smaller, what did I do. Dummy me, I cut the first two too big. Just before I started to slice off the extra 1/4 inch on the first strip it hit me, I am making borders not binding. So I added that 2 3/4 strip to the green binding baggie and went back to the cutting board and correctly cut the remaining THREE inch BORDER strips.

Messenger beeps, it’s my friend I have coffee with every morning. We chat for a few minutes and then she goes off to do her thing and I get back to mine. I neatly join the binding strips on the diagonal the proper way and…. hold on.. they are BORDERS not binding. I unsew them, thank goodness I hadn’t cut them yet.

Phone again.. another Relay call. This was a good one, talking to a possible sponsor for our team, which would mean another $1000 donation in the fight against cancer. We discussed the sponsorship and how it would benefit this business, and then went on to other things, the messy roads, how sick we both were of winter, etc.

Back to the binding. I picked up the strip, folded it in half wrong sides together and started to line it up with the quilt top… hold on again.. this is just a quilt top and I am putting on borders.

Phone again and the whole time I am talking to that individual in my head I am saying borders not binding, borders not binding, borders not binding, borders not binding.

I can happily report the borders are successfully on and I have another quilt top finished.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the morning's laugh. Sorry it was at your expense. Maybe there is something to be said for the phone never ringing. Or almost never ringing. I'm off to finish a quilt... if I ever quit blog hopping.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated because of spam.
Thanks for understanding,
Marge