Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Dreary day

Wind has been howling all day,but fortunately we've only had rain, so far. Weather man says the rain should turn snow any minute now. (I hear thunder as I write this, which means I think temperatures are dropping!)

And I did no sewing again today. I can't decide what I want to do. I went through a few baskets looking for inspiration, but all I found were UFOs and some swap blocks. I wrapped up the UFOs to send off to the quilter, and the swap blocks... well some of them went in the circular file. Honestly, they weren't anywhere near good enough to use, not even for pet quilts. The fabrics were so thin that a kitty or puppy claw would shortly destroy whatever those thin fabrics were put in to.

I think those blocks may have been the end of my swapping days. I understand that some people can't afford good quality fabrics or don't know better... but I sent nice blocks and I just don't care to use flimsy fabrics in any quilt I make. If I can read the computer monitor through it, it's too thin.

However there were quite a few great swap blocks which I plan to include in the sampler that I hope to make at the retreat. I have all different size blocks and I am truly tempted to start working on that project now... but it can wait till the retreat when I have more room to spread out the blocks!

And there was one set of blocks which I really REALLY like, which will go in a quilt all by themselves, I think it was a BOM which I was lucky enough to win at guild. They are star blocks in greens and yellows and I think they will make a great quilt.

But I have decided what I'm doing next, starting tomorrow morning. I am going to make another mystery quilt, the one that is scheduled for March. I really LOVE the design and when I was sorting through fabrics I found some that I think will look great in that pattern... so tomorrow I'm cutting the squares and will start sewing. Who knows, I might even have this one finished before the retreat!

1 comment:

  1. oooh a little talk about the upcoming mystery. I went wild at a quilt store sale on Monday... wondering if any of those fabrics will find a home in a new mystery.

    I hear you about block swaps. But, I signed up for another. Easy blocks. when will I start working on the multitude of swapped blocks that I have? I found some cute valentine blocks. have a little plan in my head. Have 2 quilts ready to be quilted and one to be bound by the end of this month... hum... I really need to do those heart blocks.... hum....

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated because of spam.
Thanks for understanding,
Marge