Wednesday, January 11, 2012

A retirement idea

A dear friend of mine just put a wild idea in my head.  We were talking about retirement homes, assisted living etc and how the Amish live.  They take care of their elders, putting them in their own little space in the back of or side of the big main house.  She said to me, “A quilt retreat seems the best medicine in the world. OR buy a great big house for only quilters and we all can take care of each other.”

So let’s think about that… 

When you apply to live in a retirement community they ask you about your finances.  We would do that too of course, after all we would have expenses, shelter, food, etc.  But of course we’d have to ask important questions…
How large is your stash?
Do you have your own sewing machine?
Are you willing to share both and your quilting tools and accessories?

Another part of the application would deal with type of quilting you like.. well if I was running the place it would.  I do not like paper piecing or appliqué and I dislike the quilting process itself.  Someone talented in appliqué would be nice to have around and anyone who enjoys the quilting process, either hand or machine, I would certainly welcome in my old age quilters’ home.  Then I could piece to my heart’s content and not have to worry about finishing. 

I guess another question might be how many UFOs do you have?  We would need to make sure that the balance of UFOs and quilters is not too lopsided, can’t have our quilters over worked you know. 

Another question I would like to include would be how good is your hearing.  I don’t like a lot of noise and if I’m running this place everyone would have to have good hearing, I don’t want a lot of shouted conversations or loud TVs in my retirement community. 

I’m sure there would be more to this screening process….

2 comments:

  1. Oh Lord, I love this post - let's see - instead of shuffleboard - we could have Longarms for exercise... if I had a lot of investment money, I'd probably implement this idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are so cute!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated because of spam.
Thanks for understanding,
Marge