Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Sherry said...

In her comment Sherry said...
Christmas is on a Saturday this year.
Yes I know what day it is, what I should have said was… I wonder what weekend OUR Christmas will be on this year. See, I have two grown up (most of the time) boys who no longer live at home and who I have to share with other special ladies. I told my boys as they were growing up that once they fell deeply in love with the girl they knew they wanted to spend the rest of their lives with I was willing to rearrange holidays to adjust for the other families.

Why, because for the first 13 years we were married, and BC, before children, we tried to do all the families on special holidays. Sometimes that meant hours in the car and a stressful holiday. We decided when we our children came along that our place on most holidays was in our own home. We could visit all the rest of them on other days, close to holidays.

Now my boys have two families, and I really don’t mind that we don’t always get them on the exact date of a holiday, as long as they set aside one day for us to celebrate whatever holiday it is. Last year we had Christmas on December 20th during a blizzard. I texted Jon and Steph not to try to make the drive downstate, and they called to inform me that they were already on their way.

John’s birthday fell on a weekend this year, and we don’t ask the boys to drive here on weekends in the summer, too much traffic… so we met on a weeknight in Dover, half way for everyone.

It really doesn’t matter WHEN we celebrate, what matters is that we do… together!

1 comment:

  1. I agree. It's not the date or the place. It's being with the people you love.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated because of spam.
Thanks for understanding,
Marge