Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Yesterday and today

Yesterday I finished another strip quilt, another sample for the fall retreats.  I’m showing this one on here because log cabin has always been a favorite of mine, and well.. because I really like it. 

Now I remember the old saying about log cabins, don’t make your strips too big.  And to me, 2 1/2 is slightly too big, but that’s what comes in a pre-cut pack.  And I don’t necessarily love pre-cuts, but that’s what we’re using at the fall retreats so even though I have plenty of stash I could cut up, I’ve used a few pre-cut packages. 

This log cabin was made of just 40 strips.  But, not all 40 came from the pre-cut package.  I loved the teals and blues in this package, and it only came with a few yellows, so I supplemented the yellows, getting this stack for this project (and my stash) back in June when we went to Lancaster shopping.  The teals and blues and a few yellows came from this Tonga Treat, and the blue I purchased for borders and backing.  I kept close count of the strips I used so I could honestly say I only used 40 strips… and I did!  I even have some left over strips which I will use for a scrappy binding. 

So the quilt center, the log cabin part, was made using 40 pre-cut strips.  The borders were not included in that number and the binding was! 

I’m pleased with it!. 

Today I’m starting another strip project.  Well I hope to as soon as I recover from my visit to the vampires at the clinic… I think they took a gallon and since it was a fasting draw, I felt a little woozy as my life was sucked out of me… nothing a good lunch won’t cure, LOL! 

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:01 AM

    That is a very pretty quilt. I love log cabins and agree with you that I prefer smaller width strips however the precuts and your stash combined to make a great quilt.

    Susan R
    quilttrack47@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments are once again moderated so that no one has to see the spam that some robot keeps trying to post. Your comments ARE important to me, and I will approve them as long as they aren’t smutty or trying to sell something. And if your ID is not accepted, send me an email, my address is on the sidebar.
Thanks for understanding
Marge