Saturday, September 13, 2008

I sewed!

I sewed! Big deal you say, well it is for me, LOL! Even if it was just a straight seam I actually sewed in my new sewing room location for the first time, and for the first time since July! Know what… it felt great!

The lighting in the day time, sunny day, is perfect. The light comes over the right side and illuminates the project perfectly. Night and cloudy days may need more light, but time will tell on that.

You may be asking so what did you sew… no big deal, I sewed a backing together. Two long pieces of fabric to go on the back of a quilt which I am taking up to NY with me to be quilted by a longarmer. I’ll show the quilt top as a part of my trunk show, and then leave it up there to be finished.

I actually have another backing to sew together today also, so I will be sewing a second time too. Right now the fabric is in the washer. Since it is red, I want to be sure that all the red dye is out. If it bleeds the whites on the quilt top will turn pink, and I don’t want that to happen. So the backing fabric, although it has been washed before, is back in the washer again.

I always prewash. No fabric enters my sewing room unwashed, unless it is on the bolt. (I wash the yardage from the bolts as needed.) There is a bag in the old sewing room full of fabrics to be washed before they come up. The other exceptions to that rule are fat quarters… ones that I am going to give as gifts. If I’m going to use it myself, it gets washed. If it is going in a kit for a class or retreat, it gets washed. I wash everything. Better safe than sorry is my rule, and I’m sticking to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated because of spam.
Thanks for understanding,
Marge