Friday, April 02, 2010

Stash busting, Marge’s way

I’ve done some major stash busting today, and it was SOOOO easy I have to share. First, I got an email from a friend, not just any friend but a special friend I’ve known for years, who needed my help. Although she didn’t SAY she needed help, I just read that between the lines.

Lynne spent a good deal of this winter in New Mexico visiting her son, daughter-in-law and their new baby. In the big snow storm this winter the snow’s weight apparently did some damage to their roof. All seemed ok, nothing visible when her kids checked the house for her, so she didn’t worry. They checked again after the snow melted and still nothing showed, all was well at home. However when she returned and when those horrible flooding rains hit last month….. "in the middle of the night I heard a crash in the sewing studio and rushed in to find the ceiling on the floor and on my fabrics, supplies, and my sewing machine."

Good news, the roof is fixed, and she has a refreshed sewing room all nice and clean, freshly painted and new lighting installed. She was happy to have the new lighting, something she’d wanted for years but never got around to. Bad news, she needed to borrow a sewing machine or perhaps buy one of my extras from me. Could I help her?

Of course I could, I have extras, so I gave her a choice of machines, and said make a donation and it’s yours. She wants to “buy” one of my old Singers (not a FW) so I will happily sell her one. I asked if she needed any other supplies, and she said no she was going to Lancaster to shop and start rebuilding her stash. She said her fabrics were so covered in grime and gunk she couldn’t save them, or any of her books either.

So I climbed up the stairs and did some serious stash busting. I pulled w-o-w bolts off the shelves and cut yards, some for the National Quilting Day “Raffle” and some for her. Then I pulled out some other basics, some batiks, some fat quarters and some more. I grabbed an extra (brand new in the package) rotary cutter, some blades, a seam ripper and any other extras I could find and put them in a box. I went through my books and pulled a few good ones and they went in the box too.

Her son is going to be here this weekend visiting his in-laws for Easter and will pick up the sewing machine for her. AND he will also pick up the box of fabrics and other supplies I’ve put together, but she doesn’t know that… And I have accomplished getting rid of a sewing machine and some of my stash and have a good feeling inside! Excuse me while I pat myself on the back… it feels so good to get rid of stuff and help someone at the same time!


PS, I’ll have that photo of the large priority box for sure tomorrow! It’s almost overflowing!

4 comments:

  1. You give true meaning to Good Friday - what a good friend you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! It does feel good to help someone out, doesn't it? I know she'll be very grateful for your generosity. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a good friend you are. I'm sure she will be overwhelmed and amazed. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated because of spam.
Thanks for understanding,
Marge