Saturday, April 24, 2010

Surgery report again

Nothing squeamish this time, well maybe slightly. Totally different experience than I had in November. Starting right off with check in time, 1PM. Last time I checked in at 3 and didn’t see the Doc until 6. This time I went in right at one and they were actually waiting for me in surgery. BUT first all that prep work. You know, the Bear Paws heated gown, felt just as comfy this time. Then the brushing of the hair off my face, otherwise known as taking my temperature and the arm squish, aka blood pressure, and the arm squish, aka blood pressure, and the arm squish, aka blood pressure..... wait a minute, how many times are you going to take it? Something not right about my bp so they kept checking.

Then came the vampires, well it started out with one. She couldn’t find a vein. I explained to her I was a hard stick, and she said she was usually pretty good at finding veins… but wasn’t having any luck with me. Then the anesthesiologist came in to ask me his questions and seeing the problems nurse 1 was having decided to join in the hunt. I gave them each two sticks and then asked for someone else. Two more highly qualified vampires showed up and guess what, they had their two sticks each and still no IV in. Two more and still no IV. The PA showed up next, to see what the hold up was. She didn’t offer to try, which I was thankful for, because she’s not that gentle. First two try again, and at one point there were four people smacking my arms looking for veins. Another anesthesiologist comes in and asks me what the hold up is. I told him and he joined in the hunt. I asked him if he was qualified to do both jobs on the same patient, and he laughed, and promptly found a vein, stuck me and got the IV flowing.

Next thing I know I’m flying down the hallway and into surgery. Doc laughs at me and says it’s about time I showed up, and that was all I remembered until I woke up in recovery. No face mask, they remembered last time, and a cup of ice was sitting there waiting for me. I dozed off and on until they told me I had to give up my space, so they were moving me back to my stall. Back to same day surgery but not for long.. all I had to do was eat the cracker and drink and I could go home. I followed orders and soon was dressed and being wheeled out of the room…

And things went down hill from there. I’m not sure if it was the sitting up and moving part, or the huge bump between SDS and the waiting room. Sure it looked an half inch high but when she went over it it felt more like ten inches and then the room started spinning… I’ll leave out the details, even I can’t handle them yet, but I will tell you I sure had them running around for a few minutes.. get this get that help stop go wait… so much for crackers and water…

But I was out of the same day surgery ward, and that meant I had been discharged, and it was up to me if I wanted to go home or go back… I said home, but I’m not sure I made the right decision.

Let’s get this straight right now, I love my husband dearly, but I’ve explained that he has problems helping people, he helps too much. Good thing in my case, but guess what… I wasn’t who he was helping. He brought me home and put me to bed, and I promptly fell asleep. He assumed since I was asleep I was ok, so off he went to help someone else. So when I woke up and lost more cracker and water he was no where around. I fell back asleep, and repeated this several times until he showed up… I fired him but was forced to rehire him again since he was the only one around. He’s done much better since… except once he falls asleep he’s worthless.

I can’t say the pain is less than yesterday pre-surgery cause I would be fibbing. I actually hurt more today, but I’m sure that’s all surgical hurts, I hope. I can say my right leg, the one who got all the attention in November, is back to almost normal again… Doc gave it a magic shot and drained some fluid, so it feels just fine today. Left leg is still all wrapped from my ankle up and is throbbing with a consistent beat… I get to check on it later, when I wake up from my nap… medicine is wonderful…

2 comments:

  1. Prayers with you for quick healing, and not needing "helpers" - the Good Lord knows, they do try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Marge -- you just can't do it easily, can you? At least it appears your sense of humor is intact. I hope the pain meds ease the pain as you recuperate. And, are you deciding what project you will start your sewing spree with? I'm assuming that is one of the first things you will want to try the knees on! LOL. Take care girl. And, hopefully John can keep up with you. B.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated because of spam.
Thanks for understanding,
Marge