Monday, May 02, 2011

Yes all night long

One of my Retreat friends asked me if I really stayed up all night long during Relay. She knows I need my sleep to function normally from years of retreating with me.

Yes, I do stay up all night long, but believe me when I say it is the shortest night of the year.

At most Relay For Life events people walk around the track all night long, or at least that is supposed to be how it goes. For me it is a night of work work work. Last year I arrived at the event around 3 PM on Friday and next thing I knew it was 10AM on Saturday and we were going home. In between there was opening ceremonies, survivor walk, luminaria lighting, data entry and closing ceremonies, and honestly, it whizzzzzzzed by so fast it is all a blur in my memory.

This year I will be taking care of the Silent Auction which hopefully will involve checking a lot of bids and keeping an eye on the items. In the middle of that will be the opening ceremonies, survivor walk and just after luminaria lighting will be collecting a lot of money at the end of the silent auction. Then I will come home and do all the data entry. There is no connecting to the internet out in the boonies where we have our event, so coming home is the only way I can do my job. Last year I came home around 2 AM and was back at the event just after the sun came up, hopefully it will go the same again this year.

When we get home from Relay, be it 10 AM or noon on Saturday, we try to take a nap…. Try, usually we are too excited to go to sleep. We sleep very well Saturday night, and most of Sunday if we can, LOL!

Wish me luck and a good night’s sleep the night before!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated because of spam.
Thanks for understanding,
Marge