Sunday, September 19, 2010

Did you know I had chickens?

Here are the two yard chickens, and they are not ours. My neighbor thinks he lives on a farm on his little over an acre lot and thinks he has good control of his livestock… he thinks wrong. For the last 12 years or so every spring the baby chicks escape his yard for ours which is greener and friendlier too, and we certainly must have better bugs than he does. For a while this spring we had quite a flock if that what you call a lot of chickens. Slowing they disappeared, I’m not sure if the local fox got them, or one of the neighborhood cats, but we know that every once in a while we would find a bunch of feathers as evidence another chicken had not gone back to the farm in time.

These two have stayed on our side of the fence so long I don’t think they fit under the fence any more if they do want to go back. I haven’t found any “free range eggs” yet, but honestly I haven’t looked either. The chickens are still people shy, and I have no idea where they roost at night. I just know they are out there all day long, eating up bugs and what ever else it is that chickens eat, and as night falls they disappear.

If they don’t completely disappear come winter, we will catch them and take them back to the neighbor’s yard… or else build our own chicken coop…. but I doubt that will ever happen. But then again, who knows!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:15 PM

    My neighboir has chickens, here in the heart of a major metro area. No roosters allowed in town though. My sons think they would make a lovely dinner.... LOL - Mary

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated because of spam.
Thanks for understanding,
Marge