Sunday, September 12, 2010

National Grandparents Day

“National Grandparents Day is a secular holiday celebrated originating in the United States in 1978 and now officially recognized in a number of countries on various days of the year, either as one holiday or sometimes as a separate Grandmothers Day and Grandfathers Day.”

I never knew most of my Grandparents. I do not know that I ever met my Mother’s parents, I never really knew her until I was an adult. My parents were separated when I was three and I never knew her until I was 33. My Grandfather on my Father’s side passed away when I was two, so I don’t remember him at all. And my Gramdmother, Gram, was the one person who influenced me the most when I was growing up. I can not imagine where I would be today without her guidance.

Gram remarried right after John and I were married, and Ray was just like a grandfather to me. I loved him dearly for how he gave me a whole new Grandmother... one that understood my side of life a little better. Ray kind of modernized Gram and certainly made her a more rounded person. Both of my boys got to meet Gram and Ray, and although I doubt Mike remembers them, I’m sure Jonathon does.

John's Grandmother was a fun lady, and I loved her dearly. She and I always had a special connection, I'm not sure what it was, but we hit it off from the first time I met her. Sadly she passed away shortly after Jonathon was born.

My boys will always remember their PopPop, my father. Dad was a great grandfather, much better than he was a father. For this I loved him. My boys loved him too, and I know they will always have good memories of him.

The boys will also always remember GrandPop, John’s Father who is still keeping busy today at 86. GrandPop is credited for bringing us into the world of the internet. After all of it was good enough for him, why not us... at least that’s what the boys tried to tell me back in 1997... and what do you know, they were right. GrandPop is married to Grammy Arden who the boys also love dearly. She has many memories connected to her and I’m sure her being a horse trainer in Nevada will be one of them... she was cool! And she still is, they both are and together they're a cool couple.

Sadly the boys will remember John’s Mother in a different light.. and that is all I’m going to say about her.

Eventually, sooner or later, I hope, we will be grandparents. For now we have to settle for kitties and fish, neither are very huggable...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated because of spam.
Thanks for understanding,
Marge