Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christmas dinner?

What do you serve for Christmas dinner? Do you slave over the stove all day fixing a meal or many meals and miss out on all the Christmas fun? Not me, I gave that up a long time ago. Our Christmas dinner most years recently has been a standing rib roast, very easy to cook and quite yummy. I salt and pepper it, stick it in a roasting pan and in the oven it goes. About an hour before it's ready, potatoes go in to be baked. Cook some veggies and/or a salad and it's a perfect meal.

Since we don't always have Christmas on the 25th, sometimes we vary that meal. Sometimes we have lasagna and all the fixings. But I always prepare it ahead of time so the hard work is done. And that's what I'm doing today. I've cooked the ground beef and sweet Italian sausage and now it is simmering in the sauce. Later I'll finish up the casserole and put it in the frig until we need it. If I've planned right I will have enough for two casseroles, one for now and one to be cut up and put in the freezer for later. I cut it up into two serving size portions, so each container makes a meal. Also good for sharing.

John actually asked for Beef BBQ sandwiches this year, something I hadn't made in forever and never for Christmas. It's another easy recipe that you cook in the crock pot and is yummy. So I picked up a brisket and will throw it in the crock pot one day soon to satisfy his craving. Not sure if it will be Christmas or not, but we'll have it one day.

What are we having this year for Christmas dinner? I haven't decided yet, but we'll have plenty to chose from. For that I am very thankful.

1 comment:

  1. For Christmas Eve, we used to have lasagne. But now that it's just us two oldsters, we have ham, and then ham sandwiches for days! (Like turkey at Thanksgiving.)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated because of spam.
Thanks for understanding,
Marge