Saturday, June 16, 2012

My 1890 quilt

Let me first explain the name… most people use a jelly roll, 40 strips at about 40 inches per strip equals 1600 inches which is why this design is often called the 1600 quilt.  Well… mine was a little jelly roll of only 20 black strips, plus 7 black strips left over from another similar jelly roll plus 18 red strips left over from another project.  So that’s 20 plus 7 plus 18 which equals 1880, plus ten inches left over from the border on that other project which adds up to 1890 which is what I’m calling this quilt. 

Yes, I swore I would never make one.  Yes I said I would never use jelly rolls.  All of a sudden I’m doing a lot of things I said I would never do… like angry birds but that’s another story. 
So I made a project I am not showing yet with black and red strips, some from jelly rolls, some cut from my red stash.  I decided to use the left over strips to make a 1600 quilt.  I sewed all the strips together like I was making a very very long long binding strip, diagonally. 

A friend calls me, and I can hear her sewing in the background.  I teased her about sewing while on the phone, and she said that if I was at my machine I could sew too.  I told her I was, put her on speaker and went on sewing.  She told me about her project, a twin Sailing Ships quilt for her grandson and then asked me what I was working on.
Believe it or not, she’d never heard of a 1600 quilt or jelly roll quilt so I had to explain it to her.  I said you sew all the strips together with diagonal seams like you were making a very very long long binding strip, then you sew that very very long long strip together into a strip set of two…  and I picked up two strips and sewed them together length wise… by time I realized what I was doing I was almost to the end, and we both had a very good laugh over it.  And I stopped sewing while talking to her so I could concentrate and not make any more mistakes. 

After my call ended I had to figure out what to do with that booboo… I didn’t want to unsew it, so I decided to use it as a 2 1/2 alternating strip…  and that’s what I did.  I cut the two wrongly joined strips into 2 1/2 inch segments and sewed half of them together into one strip and added that to the long strip I was making. Then a little while later on that same long strip I added the other half of the alternating strip.  No, I didn’t take a picture but you can figure that out on your own. 
Then I started to sew that one very very long long strip into a shorter strip of two… I ran into this… anyone care to explain how that happened? 

I took out a small seam and untied the knot and re-sewed the seam and continued on.  I sewed the one very very long long strip into a slightly shorter strip of two, then that into a strip of four and then that into a strip of eight and then 16 and I think I stopped at 32. 

And this is what I got.  It needs borders, but I can guarantee you they won’t be 2 1/2 inches!
 

3 comments:

  1. Super interesting! Really like it but don't think I will stop to figure out exactly your procedure!! LOL! Will be a lovely one when completed!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not real sure I could figure it out again either, LOL!
      Thanks

      Delete
  2. Michele Engebretson6:52 PM

    Welcome to the dark side! I love pre-cuts! Cool top, leave it to you to have unusual colors. I like it a lot! Michele

    ReplyDelete

Comments are once again moderated so that no one has to see the spam that some robot keeps trying to post. Your comments ARE important to me, and I will approve them as long as they aren’t smutty or trying to sell something. And if your ID is not accepted, send me an email, my address is on the sidebar.
Thanks for understanding
Marge