Saturday, January 23, 2010

I have two things to share today..

First I had a few emails about the quilt over my sewing table. Interesting story, no I did not make that. That is a rescue quilt, or at least that’s what I call it. I bought that quilt. It is hand pieced and hand quilted and very nicely made. I bought it… I hope you are sitting down… I bought it at a yard sale for $10. It was folded up and sitting on a table with a lot of other miscellaneous junk when I rescued it. I asked what they wanted for it, $5… I gave ten because my conscience wouldn’t let me steal it. (It hangs nicely, but looks crooked in the photo. That’s because there is a light switch under it which makes it stick out in that corner)

Second, yesterday a quilter/Relayer friend challenged me to raise $100 from strangers. To make sure they were strangers, I wasn’t allowed to blog about it, or send any emails, or ask any of my yahoo groups. She bet me a sizeable donation that I couldn’t raise $100 over the weekend.

My friend never mentioned facebook, so I put out a plea on there. I asked for $1 donations only. I received almost instantly a $10 from someone I don’t know, then another $10, and $1 and then a $100 donation followed by more and more… total count as of this morning $216.

This warms my heart in so many ways I can’t begin to explain it. All but two of those donations came from total strangers. They were on facebook, probably friends of friends or something, I’m not real sure how it worked, but it did. The other two donations were from people I know, one I have met in person, one I have not. One is an on-line friend who I have known only on line but for about 12 years now (THANKS MARY ANN). The other is also an on-line friend but one who has attended two retreats, so I’ve had the pleasure of meeting her (THANKS RENEE)
Together we will beat cancer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated because of spam.
Thanks for understanding,
Marge