Monday, August 23, 2010

Another internetless day

Same as yesterday, went off around noon and came on sometime between 7:30 and 8. And yes, I took advantage of it.

Since I couldn’t get on line I decided to look through some of the quilt magazines that are sitting around waiting to be passed on to someone else. (How I recycle my quilt magazines.) I looked at three magazines which are all fairly recent. When I was finished I was angry that I’d wasted my time and money on them all… and here is why.

Three magazines yielded a total of 42 postcard inserts. I did hit the jackpot on one magazine, and each post card was in there three times for a total of 27 in ONE magazine. Inside one magazine was an eight page catalog for clothing. 8 pages! One is too many in my opinion, but I know magazines need advertising.

That made me wonder and I took more of my valuable time and went through all three magazines again. Three magazines, total pages 292 (66+152+74 = 292). Total pages of pure advertising, 91. Other pages with ads on them, 40. Add to that the 42 post cards, and I am paying good money for what?

Three of the patterns in magazines were so much alike I checked to see if the same person had published them. Two of the patterns I consider a waste of ink and paper, so old and so easy, only a kindergartener would need instructions on how to make them. (one was a 9 patch for heaven’s sake)

Yes I am truly disappointed and will not be renewing the magazines, bringing my total magazine subscriptions down to one, and that’s John’s “library” reading (Readers Digest). I already cancelled Good Housekeeping, Better Homes and Gardens and Southern Living.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:41 PM

    Amen! The cost of these magazines are ridiculous. Occasionally I`ll flip thru one at the store and if something catches my eye, I`ll buy it. Now they`re wrapped in plastic so I can`t even flip thru to see if it`s worth dropping an hour`s wage. Who needs em.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated because of spam.
Thanks for understanding,
Marge